Hypertension is often called the silent killer as it leads to stroke, heart attack and coronary artery disease without any symptoms or signs. Worldwide prevalence of this disease is quickly increasing and by 2025 it is expected to affect 1.56 billion adults. In this infographics, we have put together some hypertension facts and statistics to spread more awareness about it.
Worldwide Hypertension Facts & Statistics
- Globally 1 in every 3 adults has hypertension.
- Its most prevalent in Africa (46% of the population has it).
- It is also very common in developing countries where 2 in every 3 adults have this condition.
- Today hypertension is one of the most important factors of premature death worldwide and it is estimated that almost 1.56 billion adults will be living with this chronic disease.
- Indirectly high blood pressure contributes to almost 10 million death worldwide every year.
- In the US 29% of the total population have a high blood pressure – that’s 1 of every 3 adults.
- Surprisingly only 50% of the people living with hypertension have their condition under control.
- The medical cost of managing hypertension in the US is expensive too! It costs around $46 billion each year.